Monday, February 9, 2009

Family Ties




I've been to Anacortes again this week, and it was a visit that included seeing most of the family. Goddy drove up for the weekend so we could take a look at some tax stuff for Dad. That took about an hour to realize we didn't have everything needed and even it we did, it might be beyond our meager financial capabilities.

So...then it was onto fun stuff, like raiding the garage, walking around town and other places and seeing how many times we could make Mom and Dad laugh.


Mom and I went to La Conner, a cute little town a bit southeast of Anacortes. We stimulated the economy a bit by having lunch and shopping. We both love independent book stores and this one didn't disappoint.



My mom gave Goddy carte blanche in the garage, as long as he carted stuff he didn't want to the dump. A win-win for everyone.


We stopped in with Evan and Crystal for a night on the way home. Crystal was out to a hockey game so we took Evan to the Mongolian Grill for dinner. I wish I'd had my camera handy while our creations were being cooked. Makes my efforts at stir-fry look pretty amateur - I seem to stir a lot of the fry onto the stove!

We had breakfast the next morning with our favorite person under three feet tall, and his mother. What joy there is being a Gremmy, sharing time and space with my grandson, but just as much in watching Alyssa be a mother. She is skilled in a vocation that so many struggle to master. I love seeing the expressions on her face as she talks to Rowan, and his when he responds. Who needs media entertainment when life plays out in front of you?



I've always tended to be a watcher rather than a doer. And then I think about what I've watched. It is joy indescribable to witness the life of my family.

2 comments:

mommarazzi said...

The name of the bookstore brings up so many thoughts. What fun.

We feel blessed to share our affections with your favorite person "under three feet tall".

Our snapshots of time together are always brief but enjoyable. It was good to see you... and did I tell you I loved the tea cozy?!

B&K said...

Hello Hello...this is Kimiko (rhyming was completely unintentional). This is incredibly informal but I was planning on mailing you guys a wedding invitation and just realized that a small stack of invites seem to have gone awol in my disaster of a car. Sooo that said you have officially been invited to the Gilyard/Janssen wedding extravaganza on March 1st in Tacoma. Your son and daughter-in-law have all the splendid details.

p.s.
I am a devote reader of your wonderful blog:)