Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gremmy Godsiff, ace reporter


Don't know about the last part of my new title, but I sure relish the first bit. Being a Gremmy is just what I imagined it would be, and it just keeps getting better.

Back in my b.c. (before children) days, I mused that I'd really rather go straight to grandmother and skip all the mother part. I'm glad I'm not the master of my universe and that God has it organized so much better. I mean, how could I appreciate not having to change a dirty nappy if I'd never done it? But you know what I've discovered? Rowan smells just like his father did...

Alyssa and Rowan's visit, two whole weeks worth, was full of moments. Some were routine, some out of the ordinary, all special. It was nice to have them here long enough to discover a routine to the days, even though Rowan's main routine is to go out of it regularly!

But here's what we did, generally...

Because we were housesitting for the ranch owner, Goddy spent the nights at the big house. But he'd come up in the morning, fix a pot of tea and wait for Rowan to wake up. The he'd have playtime before heading out for his a.m. chores. I'd get up, have tea, play a bit more with Rowan, watch an episode of Backyardigans (my new favorite kids DVD), have breakfast then head down for my chores when Rowan went down for a nap.

He and Alyssa would toddle down when he awoke; well, he toddled, she walked. Max was with me most mornings, so he'd be racing around like an energizer bunny and make Murphy dizzy.

Rowan would do the rounds of the horses, throw rocks and dirt into the creek and then we'd head back to the house for afternoon adventures. We went to Camp Sherman a couple of times to check on the horses there, we went shopping and sometimes he napped and Alyssa and I did projects.

In the evenings after dinner, Goddy would go back to the big house and Alyssa and I watched our fill of Jane Austen and other assorted chick movies. Pretty sweet...

I haven't wiped the sticky fingerprints off the windows or coffee table yet. Some souveniers you just want to keep around.

Here are a few of my favorite pics of the time.
Max and Rowan, on a mission to somewhere.





Watching Gremmy at work in the barn.





Meeting Big Max, the Friesian. I like the eyes in this picture.



Taking a break before doing more work.




Helping Goddy take a toy to the young geldings.


At Camp Sherman, we met the horses then explored along the pasture.

This is Sophie, who belongs to my friend, Kathy.


It was a long walk to where we were going, so we rigged up a ride in the toboggan we tote the hay in.




Life in the big outdoors is more fun than boys should be allowed to have!!!





2 comments:

mommarazzi said...

That boy! We kinda like him too. I'm so thankful that you get to spend as much time with him as you do. You can tell he is totally at home there. Looks like you and Goddy have a ranch hand for summers to come.

Bill Izard said...

Hello Gremmy and Allan.. Bill & Lynda Izard Here.. We will be driving passed your area late June.. can we call in and say hi.. Regards Bill Izard
email bill@izard.co.nz