Friday, December 3, 2010

No More Pity Parties

After several months of silence, its time to come out of the cocoon. I'll be the first to note that a butterfly hasn't been formed in the ensuing time, but neither has a moth. Just what has is anybody's guess!

I've been the guest of honor at a little pity party the past few weeks, feeling glum that Goddy and I will be Christmas orphans this year. We'll be housesitting too, so there was a dilemma about how much decorating to do in the lead up, do we even get a tree, how will it feel to be somewhere without a tree on Christmas morning, etc. I felt like I wanted to copy all the scrumptious stuff in the holiday issues of the womens magazines but wouldn't have any place to enjoy it. And who'd eat all the baking?

Well, enough is enough!! Inspired by my sister-in-law, Kiley, the pity party is over. Everybody go home. Oh, that would be me. Well, I am home and looking forward to an abbreviated Christmas season. We'll visit Evan and Crystal and enjoy their tree and the anticipation of their soon-to-arrive baby. Alyssa and the kids will be here for 10 days, and so in all, we'll get 14 days of Christmas with family.

And it started last night with a visit from my friend, Havilah. We had dinner, baked cookies and did some decorating. Sometimes I forget that I'm a lover of simple, quiet things and that trying to emulate a magazine mom is a dumb deal. (But I'm still going to read the mags and enjoy the pictures!)

Let the festivities begin...

4 comments:

loverstreet said...

way to make the most of it kathryn, even if the timing of your christmas doesn't line up with what the calendar proclaims. it is called a christmas season anyhow, for the purpose of stretching our holiday cheer, right?

Lyssa said...

Hear hear! I agree with Linds :) The kids and I are getting to be pretty good at the whole celebrating-when-you-have-a-chance deal. Not the most glamorous hand to be dealt but still good.

I am super excited to get a tree with you guys! :D

mums the word said...

I love you so! Thanks for sharing your heart with us again!

Anonymous said...

Love that "Operation Christmas Cheer" is working its magic around the globe!!