Saturday, May 5, 2012

Good Therapy

I went on a therapy hike today. Therapy because I'm feeling the loss of Ben. No, he didn't die but he isn't part of our family any more.
Ben 


 We (I) made the difficult choice to send him back to his previous owners in order for Max to stay with us. You know, when it comes down to it, family really does trump all other things. Max belonged to our son and his sweet family, and they relocated to Virginia. So Max is now a ranch dog. A job he does very well.
Rin-Tin Max


But, as a confirmed animal lover and one who bonds strongly with my animals, it was not an easy choice. I keep seeing Ben's intense amber eyes, focused on me as if they could see right into my heart. It was a sight that kept me in tears most of yesterday.

So today my dear friend Becky and I took our dogs, Sadie and Max, and my mom's poodle, Henry,
on a hike to Alder Springs.

Henry, ready for adventure. If only he knew what was in store for the day.

Becky and Sadie, true adventurers

It's way to heck and gone on the Crooked River National Grassland, along a bumpy road. So when we got to the trailhead and it said the springs were only a mile hike I was a bit disappointed. Seemed like we should get more bang for our buck for bouncing along that road.


Well, we did. We did a wee detour to the 'Old Bridge Site' and since I knew the area from a while ago, we went down to Wychus Creek to explore along it for a while.



"Let your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love." We can learn from this tree - there was no soil in sight but still it grows.

Alder Springs at last!


Nearly two miles later, after scrambling around large outcroppings, through brush and an area that got burned in a forest fire last fall, we arrived at Alder Springs. I can't say we took the scenic route, because there's nothing scenic about an area that's slowly regenerating from a hot fire, but we sure  filled the day with adventure.


 We got to the point where we weren't going to turn back because we knew the springs were 'just around the next bend.' We said that many times before we arrived at our destination.

There's a lot to be said for not taking the easy way, especially when you have a good friend and good dogs for company. It helps that you'll know when you've arrived.

And seeing the bluebird of happiness is validation for the journey.








1 comment:

Evan said...

That is so sad. We will really miss Ben, especially Piper.