Thursday, October 25, 2012

New Zealand to the Max

We're on our way to the newest grandbaby! But before we get there tomorrow, we've been enjoying family time.

By the ocean at Maraiti
Goddy's cousin, Dave, lives in Auckland near the airport and has been a pillar to us travelers. He gets up early to meet us at the airport, supplies us with a cup of tea and other hospitality and sends us on our way in his sturdy silver Volvo. He's done this twice now for us and also for our sons and daughters-in-law. It's a gift appreciated beyond words.








Tonight we're in Hamilton with Goddy's brother Steve and sister-in-law Peta. These two are superb cooks and since we're here between our birthdays, they put together a Kiwi nosh for us. Roast lamb and vegetables, mint sauce and gravy, and for dessert, the following amazing pie...

Avocado & Lime Pie

Base
1 packet crushed gingernut cookies
100 g (1/2) butter

Filling
Rind and juice of 2-3 limes
250 ml (1C) cream - whipped
1 avocado mashed
1/2 tin lite condensed milk

Method
Melt butter, mix with cookie crumbs and line a greased 8" pie pan or springform pan with the mixture.
Put in fridge to chill
Mix the filling and pour into the base. Chill for an hour or so before serving

I had two pieces of this, and could have had more.






There's only one hitch to this yummy pie - you'll have to wangle an invite to our place because we'll be bringing home the Gingernuts! I'll hide some in the back of the cupboard.


3 comments:

Lyssa said...

Now I know you've been in New Zealand for a few days Mum, and your American accent may be slipping a bit, but I am pretty sure everyone pronounces the R in "wrangle" ;)

P.S. I hope my teasing doesn't mean we won't get any pie...cause it looks pretty awesome

Kathryn said...

Of course you'll get some pie! And I meant to leave out the 'r'. Wangle is a bona-fide word, at least in the dictionary of Mum ")

Lyssa said...

Oh good! Logan will appreciate that I didn't ruin our chances for dessert.

You know, I can't remember hearing "wangle" used before but seeing as you are the wordiest person I know I say the dictionary of Mum can stand alongside Mr.Webster's any day :)