Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Logan's Tree


This photo is Logan's feijoa tree, planted at the house we lived in at Rissington, New Zealand. His Aunty Viv gave him the tree for his 4th birthday, when he was in a feijoa phase. Unfortunately, I don't think the tree ever produced any fruit. But we enjoyed its presence by the clothesline for the years we lived in that house.

Here's a bit about feijoa, taken from essortment.com...

"The feijoa, also known as the pineapple guava and the guavasteen, is an exotic and interesting fruit that is native to South America (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay) and is also grown in New Zealand and in the United States, in California and Florida. It is a sweet fruit whose taste is similar to a combination of the following fruits: banana, strawberry, guava, and pineapple."

Today while I'm thinking of Logan's tree and the innocence of his youth, I'm also thinking about his service to this country and the fact that he is a veteran of a foreign war. It's a sobering thought for a mother of men.

3 comments:

Lyssa said...

Happy veterans' day/armistice day! I am currently enjoying both the innocence of youth and a veteran :) Logan is laying on the floor and Rowan just kissed his face all over! Now Logan is hiding under a blanket and Rowan is lifting it up to "find" him :D I love these boys.

Oh, and Logan says "woo woo" is not a genre, it's a sound effect.

We love you Mum, we're looking forward to enjoying your blog!

Lisa Lowe said...

I have never heard of a feijoa tree. But I have never been to NZ either....so that makes sense. I am glad you had a wonderful trip and I can't wait to read the journey that is your blog! I have often thought of starting a blog, but I think that it is not my season to do this yet....some day! : )
Love, Lisa

shawnalyne said...

Yeah! Welcome to the world of blogging. It's quite addicting! I will add you link to my list. Love you!!!