Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ode to Ty


We put up our Christmas tree today, a tree we found yesterday near Camp Sherman. I think we must have set a record for fast tree getting. We went to the same spot we've visited the last two years and spied the tree within seconds of stopping the truck.

As I was putting on the decorations I noticed that I'd placed Tyrel's special ones together in a prominent place, front and center. So I thought I'd honor him here too. We'll miss him and his sweet fiance, Caroline, like we do every year at Christmas. It seems like it might be worse this year. Our visit to New Zealand in October seems to have whetted our appetite for more time with this kid.






One of our family traditions was a photo of the boys in front of the Christmas tree and it was fun to see how much more of the tree they blocked each year as they grew taller and broader. The first year Ty was in New Zealand we still took the photo, but I sat in his place holding a sign with his name on it in front of my face. We laughed, but it was bittersweet.

Two years later we had him home for Christmas, a sweet surprise that all the boys knew about and managed to keep from us. How did our children learn to be so devious? That year was bittersweet for him since he was missing Caroline. We are longing for the day when they both can celebrate a cold Christmas with us.

One of Ty's quirks was (is) a vocal dislike for Christmas music, especially the tunes I like to play while I'm decorating. That would be Kenny G and Celine Dion. I promised him that I'd keep Kenny G locked up but couldn't promise the same for Celine. And Amy Grant is a definite keeper. Sorry bud. I love you to pieces but some things I just won't do.

Ty will spend his Christmas season trying to keep cool as he gets a new cafe up and running. I imagine they'll be making lots of iced coffees for those poor old office workers cooped up in downtown Wellington.



I'm so proud of my youngest and the life he's making in the land of his birth. He is a man of principle and integrity, discovering things about himself and not shying away from them. Who knew that this kid who regularly got into mischief and more would become so good at making sure others get a bright spot in their day and a fancy swirl in their coffee cup?

It warms the heart of this mother of men.

No comments: