Monday, December 22, 2008

Those Holiday Traditions



It looks like our traditions are going to be scaled down a bit this year. Doesn't seem like either of the stateside boys and their families will make it to our winter wonderland.

So I'm torn whether to press on regardless, cooking up large on Christmas Eve, eating leftovers on Christmas day, making blueberry muffins for breakfast and going for a hike (or ski or snowshoe) on Christmas.

Or to do something completely different like eating out on Christmas Eve, having french toast for breakfast on Christmas and going to see a movie instead of burning calories.

Anybody have a suggestion?

I know we're in good company with these messd up plans. There was another customer in the Pony Express store in Sisters this morning, boxing up presents for her children who'd cancelled their visit. I'd love for someone to come share eggnog chai with me while listening to Celine Dion warble Christmas music. Ok, that last wish might narrow the field somewhat, but I do have other choices of music.

I keep two traditions unaffected by outside influences - reading a Christmas novel and watching Sandra Bullock in While You Were Sleeping. This year's book is The Christmas Promise by Donna VanLiere. I started it this morning and will make it my breakfast companion over the next few days. I've already watched the movie (actually, I end up watching it a couple of times each year. We won a married couples quiz game once with the question to the husband "What is your wife's favorite movie" and he answered "While You Were Sleeping." It wasn't really a skill question.)

One thing remains true to the season, and that's the message in Luke 2. Whether we're surrounded by a gaggle of loved one or with our one true love, we have a reason to celebrate. My favorite part of the passage...vs. 19, "And Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart."

Mothers of men do that a lot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Merry christmas

U have a nice blog...
pls visit my blog too...

http://spicygadget.blogspot.com/

thank you