Tuesday, January 20, 2009

International Thoughts

Yes, I know today was a big day here at home, and I did watch the inauguration (we now have free-to-air TV channels!) But I'm going to say that I felt a bit like Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady when a suiter was confessing his love to her. Her response..."Words, words, I'm so sick of words. If you're in love, SHOW ME."

I'll believe the hoopla when I see something come of the pretty and powerful words Obama speaks.




Right now I'm thinking about another international accomplishment. That is, the formation of the Jamaica Dogsled Team. I brought home a documentary about it called Sun Dogs. (It was in the Sisters library but I'll bet Netflix has it too.) It is a story of a people and an idea and the perception that the world has of Jamaica. Plus its fun. And there's lots of good Jamaican-style music.

The team launched in 2005, and as you read this, one of the mushers is recovering after a race in Canada.












Back home, they train dogs from the streets and the local shelter and give tourists rides around a resort. And they've become national heroes.

The thing that lit my wick is the inspiration of people who don't just venture outside their comfort zone - they cartwheel out of it, laughing and sweating at the effort, determined to find fun and growth among the discomfort.

Now that's putting action into life.

1 comment:

loverstreet said...

our friends are serving in the peace corps in jamaica. i am going to have to ask them if they have seen or know any of these sledders. first the jamaican bobsled, and now they are mushers. outside the confines of the island life for sure!