Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sweet home, Sisters

I'm back on home turf after seeing my dad safely back to his home and into the care of my mom and a host of caregivers. Bless those people who are committed to caring for others in their homes. They have to deal with unfamiliar layouts, crotchety clients and overwhelmed family members. So far, the five women and one man who rotate daily through Mom and Dad's lives have been kind and gentle. The worst part of any new routine is actually getting it to be the routine, so I feel a bit like a broken record, reminding Mom and Dad (and myself) to have patience.

Here's a picture of Dad and Henry. Dad, though very weak, has a mischievous twinkle in his eye that you can't really see because of his glasses. It shows up particularly when he promises to do what he's told.

Before Dad came home, Mom went shopping with Evan's wife, Crystal, to buy Dad a new chair. Here she is, trying it out and getting Henry's approval. Not much happens in this house without Henry's involvement.


Henry is a comfort and a soothing presence, except when he's letting the neighborhood know that someone's at the door. But we all feel better knowing he's on duty. No one is going to sneak into the house when Henry's at home. No one barges into the house either. Dad's got a good team around him.

1 comment:

Lyssa said...

I'm so glad to see you guys are all home again :) It's a new chapter for sure but it's comforting seeing pictures and knowing grandad's back home now.

I'll have to hook up with Evan and Crystal on one of their trips up there. I don't think it'd be a very calm visit if we didn't have at least three pairs of fast hands and feet to help corral my little guy and scoop him up and out of trouble if need be ;)