Monday, June 22, 2009

The Epic Journey

Meet Ramsay. He's accompanying Evan and I on our journey across America. He's pretty well traveled too, starting life as a New Zealand tea towel. I bought him from an Etsy seller.

This trip is certainly a once-in-a-life time opportunity. We're driving a rather nice Jeep to Charleston, SC for Ryan and Shannon, friends of Evan's who got married last week and amazingly, didn't want to spend their honeymoon on a road trip.



Crystal couldn't accompany Evan, so I was next on the list. That would be the list of people who are compatible with Evan and can take a two-week chunk of time off. Hey, I didn't say the list was short - you must have thought that yourself!

Evan and I have a history of not being compatible, though that began to change sometime during his senior year of high school. Thank heavens. We'd have what Goddy called "circular arguments," occasions when neither of us admitted defeat in the discussion but just found another angle to be right about. It was exhausting and distressing. Yes, being right all the time can be tiring. And tiresome, I know.

Anyway, those days are done and Evan and I enjoy a convivial relationship, somewhat eerie when we find ourselves thinking exactly the same thing at the same time.

One of my aims on this trip is to enjoy what's around the next corner, taking time to see it and being a good sport about everything. The first thing we did was go a bit out of the way to Roslyn, WA, the town where Northern Exposure was filmed. I admit, I felt a bit star-struck to see the facades (which were actual buildings) I'd enjoyed for so many years on TV.


So far, so good, but it's only our second day...

Tonight we're in a cute cabin at the KOA in Billings, MT. "In Billings" is not exactly true - KOA's are not usually in anything but the middle of nowhere. In this case, the nowhere is by the Yellowstone River, under a lovely stand of cottonwoods with lots of grass all around.

Last night we were in Wallace, ID, the historic town in the Idaho panhandle where my mom was born.


She was raised down the road in Mullan, which we explored this morning. It was a sweet moment to be on the street where she lived, talking to her on the phone and having her describe the town as she remembered it.

Here's Ramsay canoodling with a statue of John Mullan, the town's namesake and explorer/roadbuilder extraordinaire. I-90 follows the route of Mullan's military road.

Tomorrow we head into uncharted territory - neither of us have driven east of Billings. The plan is to gaze upon Mt. Rushmore, ooh and ahh at the Badlands (do you do that there? I'll let you know...) and not go crazy at the vast empty that is the middle of South Dakota.

1 comment:

crystal said...

It's so exciting to read what you two are up to as you make your way across the states. It's almost like being there. I love the pictures and to be honest... you are one of the only people I would trust to drive cross country with Evan... because I know he will get back safe and not try anything silly like driving in flip flops with one foot out the window. I miss you guys!