Monday, June 29, 2009

In a Tangle


Here is a pictorial metaphor for life.












Sometimes it seems that no matter how we try to keep it all straight, tangles happen. No matter what methods are applied - the gently persuasive, let's-try-to sneak-around-this technique, or the give-it-a-yank-and-hope-for-the-best approach - things still get messy. Sometimes it's just best to cut ourselves loose and roll along with what we've got so far.

This has nothing to do with our road trip, except for the fact that my yarn for Ohio got into a terrible mess when I tried to wind it enroute. I'd forgotten to do that task while we were in the civilized confines of JR and Becky's where there would have been willing hands to hold it. Hint to all you knitters out there...it doesn't work to try to wind a ball of yarn by hanging the hank on the Garmin holder.

I missed much of the part of Indiana we were passing through while I was trying to get my mess straightened out. Evan tells me it was pretty scenic.

I think I've got enough yarn to represent Ohio. Thankfully it isn't a huge state.




In Ohio we saw the first small livestock since about Missoula. There was a herd of Boer goats lounging in a small pasture, and further on, a small flock of sheep. And a noticeable absence of corn, at last.









We're staying with Evan's friend from high school, Chad and his wife Jenna and their wee fellow, Zane. Jenna is about to start a OB/Gyn residency at a hospital in Akron.














I'll confess we didn't look for anything of historical consequence today. I think we might have been frustrated at any rate. We did find a Starbucks. If that is the most noteworthy part of the day, I'd say it was a bit uneventful.

No comments: