Sunday, June 28, 2009

Indiana or Bust

We're visiting Evan's good friends, JR and Becky in Brownsburg, Indiana.




It's a suburb of Indianapolis and what a lovely spot. The neighborhoods are green and leafy with abundant soft, green grass. The homes are brick (to withstand the tornadoes?) and even the new ones look somewhat established.


On our way here, we discovered a hidden gem in Andover, IL. We pulled off to get gas at this sweet country town of about 600. It is a historic site, home of the Jenny Lind chapel, which is the mother church of Swedish Lutheran community. Jenny Lind was a prominent Swedish opera singer who provided funding for the chapel (info garnered from Wikipedia). We went over to the park to play with the Green Giant frisbee. Evan was astonished by my ability to catch the thing, and I confess, so was I.


The hot, humid unseasonal weather saw us coming and scampered off to bother someone else. It's been a lovely two days. My favorite thing about this state? All those green lawns. Though I shudder to think of the gas it takes to keep them trim. Where are all the sheep?


JR took us hiking around a park yesterday, a cooler place to be under the canopy of the hardwoods. In the afternoon he and Evan had a round of golf, Becky had a wedding shower to attend and I lounged on the couch watching movies. What bliss.



Tomorrow we head to Akron, Ohio, to visit with another of Evan's friends. Evan's popularity and propensity for making lasting friends is sure coming in handy.

1 comment:

crystal said...

I know what I want Evan to bring back as a souvenier... some sod from JR and Becky's lawn. I'm sure they won't mind. Now we just have to figure out how to get it on the airlines. Have a safe drive to Chad's!