Friday, July 31, 2009

Meet Tuli


This is Tuli, my new best friend in Anacortes. She is an Electra Amsterdam cruiser bike, true to her name with tulips painted on the bright yellow surfaces of the chain guard (which you can't see because I had her facing the wrong direction for the photo.) And isn't it an appropriate bike to have in Anacortes what with the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival happening each April!

Just like the initial encounter with Danny my mule, Tuli came by way of a serendipidous meeting. Crystal and I were heading out for a walk downtown when Mom and Dad's neighbor, Tuli's previous owner, came riding up the alley on the bike.

I immediately began enthusing over the bike's graceful lines and bright paintwork. This is the sort of bike I've longed for since I began to get wrinkles and cellulite, one that calmly states, "I'm not in a hurry and I don't do hills." After she thanked me, the neighbor mentioned that Tuli (my mom suggested the name, by the way) was for sale.

The next morning Goddy and I were walking up to get the Sunday paper from the corner 7-11, and I was telling him about this beautiful set of wheels, wondering to myself how many Nugget articles it would take to earn the $200 that the neighbor wanted for her. Meanwhile, Goddy had already decided that the cash he'd recieved shearing alpacas the day before would make his little woman's dreams come true.

(Just so you know, I do wear a helmet when I ride but for vanity's sake I took it off for this photo shoot. P.S. My mother took these pictures - Good job, mom!)


In short order, I handed over the cash, the neighbor handed over the bike and off I went. What glorious freedom there is in pedaling serenely down the bike path, passing walkers and joggers, smiling at other bike riders and knowing that I'm looking and acting my age.

I had a bit of fun teaching Henry to trot alongside, though I don't plan on taking him for regular spins down the bike path. He's not fit enough, and I don't like the thought of what might happen if he did one of his little spooks at something.


2 comments:

mommarazzi said...

Don't you feel a little bit like Angela Landsbury when you ride?
Very cool wheels and that husband of yours is a keeper!

Vivian said...

I am so happy you got that bike! Kiley bought a cruiser bike when we moved to Korea and uses it constantly. Good job Goddy. Henry used to gallop behind us on mountain bike rides in our Portland pre-child days (all of us younger and fitter) so he would adapt quickly if you want to give him a chance. Cheers, Bruce