Friday, July 3, 2009

We Touched the Atlantic


I dabbled my toes and Evan swam for a while. Coming from Oregon, it's still a novelty to see people on the beach in attire that isn't made of neoprene. There sure wasn't a body image problem at this beach on Isle of Palms! People of all ages, shapes and sizes were cooling off. Although swimming in tepid water is hardly cooling off. But the breeze was pleasant and the fact that we were looking toward Europe was fun for us west coasters.


This morning I toddled around historic Charleston, making a well-earned blister on my little toe. All worth it for the pleasure of wandering down lanes that echo history. I started off with a carriage ride and our guide thoroughly loved her job and appreciated us tourists. After all, we're the reason Charleston has recovered some of its former glory. Most of the buildings in the downtown have been lovingly restored and are a treat to look at.




Did they forget that trees grow quite a bit in 300 years?

There weren't many old cobbled roads left. I'd never seen one up close. Bless the man who invented paving.


After the ride, I set off in the general area we'd toured, pretty sure I wouldn't get lost in the 90 square blocks of historic city.


Charleston Harbor, a small part of it. It's huge!



Meanwhile, Evan and Ryan were sweating out on the golf course. They came to get me after lunch and we headed out to the beach. I admit I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was out there. I think I expected the heat to beat the breezes. Don't get me wrong - it was still stinkin' hot but bearably so.

The beach 'cottages' were pretty amazing. They're all really tall, to accommodate the tall ceilings, I guess. Which nobody needs any more because all the houses are air conditioned. But it looks impressive. They didn't appear overly hurricane-proof either, but (thankfully) what do I know about that?

Ramsey stayed home today. Ok, I admit it - I forgot him. But I promise I'll make it up on the next road trip, to...?

No comments: